United to help hard-working, struggling families in Southern Litchfield County
Southern Litchfield County, or Greater New Milford, includes the towns of Bridgewater, Kent, New Milford, Roxbury, Sherman, Warren and Washington. Despite its natural beauty and good quality of life, many residents face a number of challenges.
- The cost of living is high and on the rise. The cost of basic household expenses in Connecticut is $77,832 for a family of four (two adults with one infant and one preschooler) and $24,672 for a single adult.
- In New Milford, 24% of households are ALICE and struggling to afford basic needs.
- In Litchfield County, 33% of households fall at or below the ALICE threshold.
To help the hard-working families in Southern Litchfield County, we are focusing on: increasing access to quality childcare and education; increasing access to healthy food; giving people the tools they need to help them save and become more financially stable. Learn more about Our Work
Highlights in Southern Litchfield
Here’s how United Way has served the needs of the residents of Southern Litchfield County in the past year:
- 255 children receive early childhood care and after-school subsidies
- 451 children have out-of-school activities funded through the ALICE Enrichment Fund
- 350 backpacks filled with school supplies distributed to children
- 200+ families receive a complete Thanksgiving holiday meal through the Stuff the Gazebo Food Drive with the New Milford Women's Club
- 200 Healthy Savings Cards distributed in the community for the Healthy Savings Program
- 107 clients receive free one-on-one budget coaching and financial stability workshops