The Danbury area has been facing a child care crisis. Openings for licensed infant and toddler care are scarce, and families have trouble finding affordable, quality care that meets the demands of varying schedules.
Parents have been resorting to putting their children in unlicensed, potentially unsafe child care so they could work. There have been disturbing anecdotal reports about unlicensed child care in the community—care that was not developmentally sound and even possibly dangerous.
With an estimated need of 3,986 child care spaces, there are only 2,107 licensed spots available. This means that as many as 1,880 children might possibly need care.
In January of 2018, United Way launched Cora’s Kids. The goal: increase the number of licensed family child care providers so parents will have safe, affordable care for their children while they were at work.
The program works with people in the Danbury and Southern Litchfield areas who want to become licensed home child care providers, to expand the number of licensed home child care spaces. It also invites existing home providers to join a network, which helps to improve the quality of the care they offer.
Now in New Milford!
- Cora's Kids Family Child Care Initiative: A safe, healthy and smart start in New Milford! (PDF) Learn more about this program and how to become involved!
- To learn more contact Gabriela Ramon at 203-617-0341 Ext. 245 or by email.
- ¡Cora's Kids Iniciativa de cuidado infantil familiar: Un inicio Seguro, saludable e inteligente en New Milford! (PDF) ¡Aprenda más sobre este programa y cómo participar!
- Para obtener más información: Contacte con Gabriela Ramon a 203-617-0341 Ext. 245 o correo electrónico
- CT Office of Early Childhood: Keeping Your New Baby Safe In the Time of COVID-19 (PDF)
- CT Office of Early Childhood: Cómo Mantener Seguro a Su Bebé Recién Nacido en tiempos de COVID-19 (PDF)
- CT Immunization Information System: Vaccinate Your Children - Do Not Wait (PDF) During the COVID-19 pandemic, vaccines (shots) are IMPORTANT and SAFE to protect your child’s health and prepare them for daycare and school. It is important for babies and young children to get shots and check-ups to protect them now!
- CT Immunization Information System: Vacune a su Niño- No Espere (PDF)
Durante la pandemia del Covid-19, las vacunas son IMPORTANTES y SEGURAS,protegen la salud de sus hijos, y los prepara para el regreso a la escuela y a los centros de cuidados para niños. Su niño puede enfermarse seriamente si adquiere enfermedades como el sarampión y la tosferina. Asistir a los chequeos de rutina y vacunarse es muy importante para bebés y niños pequeños.
HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS
Cora's Kids is actively recruiting new providers in Danbury and New Milford!
>>Learn about the United Way Family Child Care Providers Network, which is accepting affiliate members.
- 32 newly licensed providers
- 8 new providers in process
- 258 new child care spots created to date
- 52 providers are part of the Cora’s Kids network
- 24 training and network events
Learn how Cora’s Kids helped one parent with a nursing background open her own licensed family child care business.
DONATE TO SUPPORT CORA'S KIDS
When you support Cora’s Kids, you’ll support the safety and well-being of our children, and strengthen the economic fabric of our communities. Build on this success and help us expand the program by making your gift today:
Because babies and young children need TLC