Struggling with where to begin to leave a legacy to strengthen our community?
Getting started is easier than you think
Making a will gives you peace of mind today and leaves a legacy that supports the people and causes most important to you tomorrow. United Way has partnered with FreeWill to give you a free, intuitive way to write your will today. Visit FreeWill.com/UnitedWay to start writing your will at no cost to you.
Making or updating your will and including a gift to United Way of Western Connecticut is easier than you might imagine with FreeWill. Including a gift to United Way is a powerful way to continue the fight for the health, education and financial stability of every person in our community for generations to come.
FreeWill is a free, intuitive way to create your full legal will, or to begin your plans before consulting a lawyer. And getting started is easier than you think.
- Visit FreeWill.com/UnitedWay to start writing your will (or make a new one to update yours).
- Leave a lasting legacy by choosing to leave a gift to United Way of Western Connecticut (or any other charity of your choice) by using the drop-down menu scroll to find United Way of Western Connecticut in the list.
- Sign your will with two witnesses and you’re all set!
- You can also use the tool to document your wishes and find an attorney near you, if you’d prefer.
This tool is free to you whether you choose to include a gift to United Way or not, and can be used to create your full legal will, for free, or begin your plans before seeing a lawyer. It’s 100% free to you, and it takes less than 30 minutes. Plus, you can make changes for free at any time.
Already Have a Will? Make a QCD!
If you are at least 70.5 years old* and have a Traditional IRA, then you’re eligible to make a tax-free donation to United Way of Western Connecticut directly from your IRA, also known as a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD).
The year you turn 70.5, Traditional IRA holders must withdraw a Required Minimum Distribution (RMD). You can, however, satisfy your RMD requirement by making a QCD gift to United Way--it’s a gift that’s tax free, even if you don’t itemize deductions on your tax return. Learn more about QCDs and how you can use them to advance the common good of our community
* Tip for figuring that out: Figure out the date six months ago, and then change the year to 1951. If that’s after your birthdate, you’re old enough for the QCD option!